TE Fantasy Points Scored In Relation To Age

In this new series I'm going to examine fantasy points scored in relation to age over a three year sample size, looking at each offensive skill position one by one. I will be concluding the series with tight ends who I would anticipate having  potentially the oldest average age success rate compared to the other positions. I have broken all the data into year by year positional graphs, making it easy to decipher the optimal age for success at each individual position. The graphs will look at TE's in the top twenty in fantasy points scored for each of the past three seasons. I used the players age at the start of that particular season, to make things as uncomplicated as possible. The tight ends had more age groupings per graph than any other player position, meaning they have a more spread out success rate. TE's as the other positions do have a couple of individual players such as Antonio Gates and Jason Witten bringing the average age up significantly. Tight ends also had the most representatives in top twenty in PPR scoring who were in there 30's, showing they can still produce effectively as veterans. 

 

 

2015 PPR Fantasy Points Scored By Tight Ends 

As you can see from the 2015 bar graph the results for tight ends are more diverse than the other positions, with the highest rate of success being age 25, and 26 as they accounted for 15% of the top twenty in fantasy points scored. There were a lot of age groups that had only 1 representative in the top 20 accounting for 5% each, they were 22, 23, 27, 28, 29, 31, 32, 33, 34, and 35 year old's. Whereas tight ends 24, and 30, each had two players a piece in the top twenty in 2015, representing 10% respectively. In 2015 the average age of tight ends in the top twenty in fantasy points scored was 27.8 years old, the second oldest by position, only to QB's.

2016 PPR Fantasy Points Scored By Tight Ends 

The 2016 bar graph has less age groups than the 2015 graph, with the highest rate of success being age 26 as they accounted for 20% of the top twenty in fantasy points scored. With three players from the age 31 grouping in second place with a 15% showing. There weren't as many age groups that had only 1 representative in the top 20 in 2016 accounting for 5% each, they were 21, 23, 25, 30, 32, 34, and 36 year old's. Whereas tight ends 24, 27, and 29, each had two players a piece in the top twenty in 16', representing 10% respectively. In 2016 the average age of tight ends in the top twenty in fantasy points scored was 27.9 years old, almost exactly the same as in 2015.

2017 PPR Fantasy Points Scored By Tight Ends 

 As the graph displays in 2017 the leaders in tight end fantasy points had the smallest amount of age groupings, with more players being in each group. Only four ages had 1 player representing them 25, 26, 35, and 36, each of them accounting for 5% of the total PPR points leaders. Five separate age groups 22, 23, 28, 30, and 33 each had two representatives making up 10% of the leader board respectively. Two age groups had three players in them, age 24 and age 27 each accounting for 15% of the top twenty in TE fantasy points scored. In 2017 the average age of tight ends in the top twenty in fantasy points scored was 27.4 years old, half a year younger than 2016.